Chronic Fatigue Treatments
Board index Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Chronic fatigue and air pollution

General Discussion or Questions concerning Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Chronic fatigue and air pollution

Postby StarDust » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi people,
I would just like to know if a relationship between CFS and air pollution was ever observed? I'm not talking about the guy running his BBQ in the basement and getting intoxicated, but more of the omnipresent low concentration toxic compounds in the air of every urban center. Anyone heard of people who felt better after being in a place where the air is purer for a while or ever heard of anything on this topic?

StarDust
Last edited by StarDust on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarDust

Re: Chronic fatigue and air pollution

Postby TCP » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:47 pm

I feel better when the air is cleaner and conversely in a city centre e.g. London, symptoms come on quicker - brain fog, tiredness, feeling a bit out of it. Driving or walking on a busy street has a similar effect, as does going shopping IKEA, due I think to the new off-gassing plastic products. Maybe this is all more of an MCS reaction. Having said that, I think CFS, MCS and toxins in the environment are very inter-related.
TCP

Postby Tim Oesch » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:16 am

Greetings:
My name is Tim Oesch, and I’m a medical doctor in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. I am treating numerous chronic fatigue and/or fibromyalgia patients who are remarkably improved from taking doses of Vital B12, and sometimes sodium thiosulfate, alphaketoglutaric acid, and vitamin B6. Vital B12 is a 50/50 combination of hydroxocobalamin and methylcobalamin. Hydroxocobalamin is an FDA approved antidote for cyanide poisoning; and methylcobalamin binds cyanide and is beneficial to the nervous system, and also enhances the body’s sulfur-based detoxification system which plays a major role in metabolizing cyanide. I believe cyanide air pollution is the world’s leading cause of fibromyalgia, and perhaps the only cause of fibromyalgia; and a very major cause of chronic fatigue syndrome. Following are two testimonials from persons I’ve treated for fibromyalgia with safe antidotes for cyanide poisoning; a paragraph from a novel entitled The Poisoned Planet; information on how to acquire treatment; and a scientific explanation of how cyanide causes fibromyalgia. The first testimonial comes from an author who has given permission for her identity to be given. (PS: I'm a CFS patient myself (not fibromyalgia), and I am tremendously better on the treatment for cyanide sensitivity.)
From a Young Author with Fibromyalgia (age 32):
Martha McBryar --- author of 9 books, her favorite is Days of Blood and Magic.

Before beginning treatment, my best days were wracked with pain and inability to focus or accomplish the simplest things. I don't know how many days I cursed my body and it's inability to perform simple tasks. Since beginning treatment, my quality of life has improved on levels I never thought were possible. The fibro fog, which makes it difficult to focus, has also lessened to the point that I rarely notice it. I've begun losing weight since I am now able to be more active. This treatment has changed my life for the better. Less pain, less fog, no more crying jags because of the things I couldn't do.
If you suffer from fibro, I urge you to try the treatment. I take the full treatment and I haven't felt this good in over 15 years!
Martha L. McBryar
Lady Age 70 with Fibromyalgia ---
When we lived in Iowa I went to a Rheumatologist in Des Moines to, I thought, be diagnosed as to what kind of arthritis I had. My whole body ached all the way to my fingertips. After the doctor examined me, he said that I didn’t have Rheumatoid Arthritis. He said I had a tad bit of osteoarthritis but what I did have was Fibromyalgia and he didn’t need to see me again! That had become a new word in my vocabulary!
I found that this was something I had to live with, but what would help is if I didn’t over do my daily tasks. That is hard to do. My brain was fuzzy and I had a hard time focusing on tasks that had to be done. I attributed it to early onset of old age! But I was glad this wasn’t something that was terminal.
You prescribed VITAL B 12 KIT#1. Before I left the office I was given my first Vital B12 shot. All I could say was “Wow!” Almost instantly I experienced something that I can best describe like when the sun is behind the cloud and all of a sudden the cloud goes away and the sun shines. I felt like a totally new person! It was unbelievable. I even wondered if it was my imagination! But we bought the KIT at the Jefferson Compounding Center in Oak Ridge before we returned home. I give myself a Vital B12 shot every third day and I can tell you that I feel like a different person! Instead of moving slowly when I go from place to place in our home I find myself moving more rapidly and I am getting more things accomplished. I can think more clearly. I can read and absorb what I read. Before I would read a paragraph and at the end of the paragraph I wondered what I had read! As I look back, I am convinced that I was suffering from Fibromyalgia long before I was diagnosed.
I hope this gives you some indication as to how your discovery has changed my life.
From The Poisoned Planet, by Timothy R. Oesch.
Presently, the best test on the planet’s surface for environmental cyanide intoxication is a trial of treatment. Even though most cyanide remains in the troposphere of outer earth, the poison is measurable in the ionosphere; so all humans upon the earth’s surface inhale varying quantities of cyanide. Since inhaled cyanide quickly flees the bloodstream, blood tests for cyanide are not very useful unless blood is drawn within minutes of inhaling a relatively large concentration of cyanide. This propensity for cyanide to flee the bloodstream may explain why vitamin B12 levels are decreased in the tissues of persons with fibromyalgia while the blood levels of vitamin B12 are not as decreased. Urine thiocyanate is the preferred test for environmental cyanide exposure, but keep in mind that this test is imperfect because thiocyanate is excreted variably. Furthermore, some of the persons most vulnerable to illness from cyanide exposure may have decreased activity of sulfuryl-transferase (also known as rhodanese or rhodanase), an enzyme necessary for metabolizing cyanide to thiocyanate; so these persons would be expected to have exceptionally low levels of urine thiocyanate even though they are exceptionally sensitive to cyanide. Hopefully a micro-allergy test for cyanide-induced autoimmunity will reappear upon the earth’s surface---something comparable to the lymphocyte proliferation test for beryllium sensitivity.
My recommendations for treating CFS and/or fibromyalgia follow. If you would like more information in regards to cyanide air pollution and its effects, I provide such information in The Poisoned Planet, a novel. The novel is available through Amazon books, Barnes & Noble, Kindle Press, and Nook Books. There is plenty of information given in this report for you to start treatment without buying the novel. If you have any questions about this E-mail, or if you have any questions after reading The Poisoned Planet, then feel free to E-mail me at Tim_Oesch@teamhealth.com
My recommendations for treating fibromyalgia follow:
A prescription for Vital B12 may be written as per the sample below and then mailed or faxed to a compounding pharmacy (three compounding pharmacies that ship long distance follow):

Provider: Date:

Patient: __________________________________ DOB: ________________________
Rx: 25mg/cc Vitamin B12 as---12.5mg hydroxocobalamin/12.5mg methylcobalamin
Quantity: 10cc
Sig: 0.3cc SC (subcutaneously) or IM (intramuscularly) every 3 days (or up to 1cc every 3 days)
(Note --- if needed, the dose may be increased up to 0.4cc daily.)
Signature of Provider: _______________________________________________
Refills: ____________________
(Note: May also have 30 to 90 of the B12 syringes and needles if requested.)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Note to Patient: (You may cut along the dotted line and keep the bottom of this sheet.)
When using this product, also take Vitamin B6, 50mg four times daily; Folic Acid, 400mcg am and pm; and Vitamin D, 1,000 IU daily.
*Note: Keep the Vital B12 refrigerated. Storage life is 3 months. A usual dose is anywhere from 0.3cc to 1cc either IM (intramuscular) or SC (subcutaneous) every 3 days. When taking 0.3cc every three days, 10cc should last 3 months.
** I also recommend taking another antidote for cyanide intoxication, namely Sodium Thiosulfate. Take 1/64th to 1/32nd tsp (a pinch) every 2 to 3 hours while awake. Either dissolve the salt in water & drink, or just let it dissolve in your mouth and swallow it. If the salt causes any gas or diarrhea, then lower the quantity taken with each dose; but do not decrease the frequency of dosing since the half-life of sodium thiosulfate in the bloodstream is about 20 minutes. It is handy to carry some of the salt in a ziplock bag in your pocket. Sodium thiosulfate may be acquired without a prescription. One may also eat some nuts and/or drink a protein drink with sulfur-containing amino acids before bed.
(Note to compounding pharmacist --- sodium thiosulfate may be purchased via the Internet from such sites as http://www.mubychem.com/Buy-Sodiumthios ... lphate.htm .)
***One additional antidote for cyanide that I recommend taking is alpha-ketoglutaric acid. Alpha-Keto Glutaric Acid is an antidote for cyanide intoxication, and it works synergistically with sodium thiosulfate. I recommend drinking 1/8th teaspoon (about 563 mg) of alpha-ketoglutaric acid in 8 ounces of water 3 times daily, in the middle of each meal. It dissolves easily in cool water. Smaller doses may be used, but take at least 1/16th teaspoon. If your stomach tolerates the acid drink well, you may also take doses between meals for up to 6 doses daily; but heartburn may occur if taking doses on an empty stomach. Take doses at least 2 hours apart. When taking alpha-ketoglutaric acid apart from a meal, swish and swallow a mouthful of water after each dose. Alpha-ketoglutaric acid may be acquired without a prescription.
(Note to compounding pharmacist---Jo Mar Labs sells the alpha ketoglutaric acid at the price of $24.30 for 150 grams, and this product may be found per the following Internet site --- http://www.jomarlabs.com/alpha-keto-glu ... cid-6.html . The phone number for Jo Mar Labs is 1-800-538-4545. Individuals may also order directly from Jo Mar Labs. 150 grams lasts about 10 weeks at the recommended dose.)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
For patients that have a phobia of needles, transdermal Vital B12 may be prepared by mixing 15mg Vital B12 (7.5mg of hydroxocobalamin and 7.5 of methylcobalamin) per cc of lipoderm gel; and a nose spray can also be formulated. The gel has a storage life of about 6 months if kept refrigerated, and a storage life of about one month at room temperature. One-half cc of the gel may then be applied to hairless skin, such as on the inner thigh, every 3 days. When desired, one-half cc (7.5 mg) may be applied daily. The injections, however, seem to work best.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Any local compounding pharmacy will hopefully be able to provide all of the treatments given above. Following is data regarding three compounding pharmacies that provide Vital B12:
Jefferson Compounding Pharmacy in Oak Ridge can provide cyanide treatment kits that contain about 3 months supply of Vital B12, thiosulfate salt crystals, vitamin B6, folic acid, and alpha-ketoglutaric acid; along with needles and syringes for injecting the Vital B12; and they can also provide the lipoderm gel form of Vital B12 if preferred rather than the injections. They can also sell the different components separately and in varying quantities. You may call the pharmacy from 10am to 5pm EST Monday through Friday, and from 9am to 4pm on Saturdays. The lab technician’s name is John Greene, and the pharmacist is Jack Greene, DPh. Receptionists can also take orders. Only the Vital B12 requires a prescription, and the other agents may be requested without a prescription. The pharmacy will ship to outside locations---phone number (865) 483-3007; fax number (865) 483-3071; address 22 N Jefferson Circle; Oak Ridge, TN; 37380; U.S.A.
(Jefferson Compounding Pharmacy will give a receipt, but does not file insurance.)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The pharmacy listed below has been very helpful in filing insurance for patients. Hopewell Pharmacy can provide both the injectable Vital B12 and the transdermal Vital B12:
Contact data for Hopewell Pharmacy follows: Phone: 1-800-792-6670 Fax: 1-800-417-3864
Contact Person: Debra Halton, pharmacist.
Address: Hopewell Pharmacy & Compounding Center
1 West Broad Street
Hopewell, NJ 08525
U.S.A.
E-mail: info@hopewellrx.com
Another compounding pharmacy for persons whose insurance does not cover Vital B12 is P3 Compounding Pharmacy in Knoxville, Tennessee. Data regarding this pharmacy follows:
P3 Compounding, with address, phone, and fax as follows: 8848 Cedar Springs Lane, Suite 100 Knoxville, TN 37923. The compounding pharmacist is Tim Smith, Pharm.D., FABC, FASHP.
Phone: (865) 769-5180 Fax: (865) 769-5179
This pharmacy is experienced in producing Vital B12 nasal spray or Vital B12 transdermal gel for persons with a phobia of needles.
(P3 Compounding will give a receipt, but does not file insurance.)
Feel free to Email me if you have questions. My Email is Oesch@bellsouth.net
May God Bless,
Timothy R. Oesch, MD.
Fibromyalgia and Cyanide Sensitivity:
In 1982 a microallergist in Houston tested 43 persons (mostly nonsmokers) who were suspected of or diagnosed with cyanide intoxication resulting from airborne cyanide pollution. He found that 25 (58%) of these persons tested positive for immunological sensitivity to cyanide, whereas only one of 200 control patients tested positive. As the primary physician treating most of these patients, I came to recognize that the more common symptoms of cyanide intoxication included such things as fatigue, depression, headache, decreased resistance to infections, restless sleep, weakness, muscle cramps, forgetfulness, inability to concentrate, exercise intolerance, muscle aches, and joint pain. Comparatively, the National Fibromyalgia Research Association listed symptoms occurring in 40% or more of fibromyalgia patients as muscular pains, fatigue, insomnia, joint pains, headaches, restless legs, numbness and tingling, impaired memory, leg cramps, and impaired concentration. Additionally, nervousness was reported to occur in 32% and major depression in 20% of patients with fibromyalgia.
In testing for sensitivity to cyanide, the microallergist in Houston spun blood at low to medium speed (1,500 rpm) then collected the buffy layer of serum and discarded the platelets from the top. He diluted the buffy layer slightly, using about six parts serum to one part sterile water, to acquire a solution which contained about 100 white-blood-cells per field using 450X magnification plus a 15X viewing lens. Using meticulously cleaned glassware and equipment, he prepared antigen jelly slides using Vaseline petroleum jelly as an inert base. Generally, twenty milligrams of an antigen to be tested were mixed in 20 milliliters of water and allowed to sit overnight. About 2.5 drops of this antigenic solution were placed on a ring of jelly which was about 1 cm in diameter. One large drop of WBCs was added to each antigen-jelly slide. On control slides, the WBCs would not disrupt for about 2 to 3 hours; whereas on slides where sensitivity was determined to exist, cells would disrupt in about thirty minutes. The speed and degree of disruption of the white-blood-cells was observed, and the degree of sensitivity was determined from such observation.
Although some of the persons determined to be suffering from cyanide intoxication did not show "sensitivity" to cyanide at all (and may have been suffering due to metabolic inadequacies rather than immunological sensitivity); other persons, some of whom were notably ill, did show marked sensitivity. Cyanide is a small molecule which may not be antigenic, but cyanide binds to several enzymes and other entities within the body, and the resultant molecules may be antigenic. In addition to binding to cytochrome oxidase, cyanide reportedly binds to catalase, peroxidase, methemoglobin, hydroxocobalamin, phosphatase, tyrosinase, ascorbic acid oxidase, xanthine oxidase, and succinic dehydrogenase; and it has been noted that these reactions may contribute to cyanide's toxicity. [1, 2]. Furthermore, as mentioned in a preceding paragraph, cyanide is reportedly a carboxylase inhibitor. [3]. Thus, cyanide bound to one of the aforementioned agents may create an entity which is immunologically antigenic in some persons; and this may explain the significant degree of aching muscles and/or joints encountered in fibromyalgia.
I would hypothesize that persons who develop immunological sensitivity to cyanide may still suffer from cyanide intoxication secondary to impaired ability to metabolize cyanide (which may, in fact, have greatly contributed toward developing immunological sensitivity); and that those persons may also suffer added muscle and joint pain due to immunological reaction to cyanide in the tissues (which is more likely an immunological response to substances formed by the combination of cyanide and tissue entities). Such a hypothesis may be investigated by testing thiocyanate levels during periods of exacerbated illness, as well as observing response to proper treatment with specific antidotes to cyanide intoxication. Treatment of patients with cyanide intoxication who are immunologically sensitive to cyanide may, however, prove more challenging than treating patients with cyanide intoxication who are not immunologically sensitive; and such treatment may require very consistent and thorough maintenance doses of the prescribed remedies. To some extent, avoiding exposure to cyanide may sometimes be possible, and may help in treatment. Cyanide, however, may be released into the atmosphere from the burning of organic or synthetic compounds containing carbon and nitrogen, such as with the burning of fossil fuels like coal and gasoline. Thus, when mankind began using fire for cooking and heating, this accomplished the advent of air pollution containing cyanide---an advent which was appreciably compounded by the invention of smoking and by various industrial processes. Furthermore, over 2,650 plant species can produce hydrogen cyanide when eaten, including edible plants such as almonds, pits from stone fruits, sorghum, cassava, soybeans, spinach, lima beans, sweet potatoes, maize, millet, sugarcane, and bamboo shoots. [4, 5, 6] Nonetheless, I believe that increased polluting of the air with cyanide constitutes the major source of cyanide contributing to cyanide intoxication in the United States. The half-life of cyanide in the atmosphere is estimated at 1 to 3 years, and perhaps 98% of airborne cyanide remains in the lower atmosphere.
References
1.) Ardelt BK, Borowitz JL, Isom GE. Brain lipid peroxidation and antioxidant protectant mechanisms following acute cyanide intoxication. Toxicology 56:147-154, 1989.
2.) Rieders F. Noxious gases and vapors I: Carbon monoxide, cyanides, methemoglobin, and sulfhemoglobin. In: DePalma JR, ed. Drill's pharmacology in medicine, 4th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1180-1205, 1971.
3.) De Metz M, Soute BAM, Hemker HC, Vermeer C. The inhibition of Vitamin K-Dependent Carboxylase by Cyanide. FEBS Lett 137(2):253-256, January 1982.
4.) Seigler DS. Cyanide and cyanogenic glycosides. In: G.A. Rosenthal, M.R. Berenbaum, eds. Herbivores: their interaction with secondary plant metabolites. Academic Press, New York, N.Y. 35-77, 1991.
5.) Swain E, LI CP, Poulton JE. Development of the potential for cyanogenesis in maturing black cherry (Prunus serotina Ehrh.) fruits. Plant Physiol (Bethesda) 98(4):1423-1428, 1992.
6.) Fiksel J, Cooper C, Eschenroeder A, et al. Exposure and risk assessment for cyanide. EPA/440/4-85/008. NTIS PB85-220572, 1981.
Tim Oesch

Postby NewWorldAntidote » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:11 pm

I wouldn't doubt this at all. Toxins play a huge role in CFS and I believe that we are a different breed of humans. That is we are way way more sensitive to toxins and stress than other people. Our bodies fail to excrete the toxins that we absorb daily and they end up having a huge burden on our body causing fatigue. You MUST detoxify and limit your exposure. Move to the boonies if you have to. Heal.
NewWorldAntidote

Return to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome