Chronic Fatigue Treatments
Board index Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

MSG dangers

General Discussion or Questions concerning Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

MSG dangers

Postby Minaret » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:16 pm

Do you have MSG in your diet or is it in foods that buy ready prepared? You may or may not be aware of its link with a huge range of health problems, many very much related to CFS. The main component that is dangerous to health is the factory created 'free glutamate'.

You may think that your diet is free of MSG if you dont eat Chinese takeaways, but it is also used and labeled under the following:

MSG Gelatin Calcium Caseinate, Monosodium glutamate, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (HVP) Textured Protein, Monopotassium glutamate Hydrolyzed Plant Protein (HPP), Yeast Extract
Glutamate, Autolyzed Plant Protein Yeast food or nutrient
Glutamic Acid Sodium Caseinate, Autolyzed Yeast,
Vegetable Protein Extract Senomyx (wheat extract labeled as artificial flavor)

If you want to eliminate 'free glutamate' from your diet the following substances also contain it

Malted Barley (flavor) Natural Flavors, Flavors, Flavoring Modified food starch
Barley malt Reaction Flavors Rice syrup or brown rice syrup
Malt Extract or Flavoring Natural Chicken, Beef, or Pork, Flavoring "Seasonings" (Most assume this means salt, pepper, or spices and herbs, which sometimes it is.) Lipolyzed butter fat..

there are many more examples, and much information about this additive: see site below:

http://www.msgmyth.com/
Last edited by Minaret on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minaret

Re: MSG dangers

Postby Minaret » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:15 am

Do you know what MSG is ? it is not pure or natural. It is made artificially when protein is hydrolyzed.

When you hydrolyze protein, the glutamate becomes "free." The free form of glutamate is an excitotoxin.

Excitotoxins are hazardous to your health. They can over-excite and over-stimulate your brain cells until they are severely damaged. This over stimulation can even cause your brain cells to die!

Learn more about excitotoxins in the book Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills by Russell L. Blaylock, MD.

The glutamate in MSG has a different chemical structure from the glutamate that your body makes and that occurs naturally in food. Any chemical structure that does not occur naturally in nature can be very damaging to your body.

The E numbers to watch out for that contain free glutamate are E 620-625, E 627, E 631, E 635.
Minaret

Postby lili2701 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:27 am

yeah my naturo told me about that and apparently many CFS patients are intolerant to those substances. So the quicker we get rid of it, the better..
lili2701

Postby Minaret » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:06 am

Lili It is so very hard to give it up completely because, MSG can be used in waxes applied to fresh fruits and vegetables! It can be used in pesticides, fungicides, fertilizers, and plant growth enhancers -- remaining in the edible portion of the plant or on the edible portion of the plant when its leaves, fruits, nuts, grains, and other edible parts are brought to market.

The industry is sneaky and they have ways around not even declaring MSG is used on a product:

Apparently having MSG poured into an ingredient and processed into an ingredient is important because the glutamate industry plays on this distinction in their efforts to hide the presence of MSG. One of their favorite ways of hiding MSG is to claim that there is "no added MSG" in a product. If MSG is processed into a product instead of being poured into a product, they declare that there is "no MSG added" or "no added MSG," in the product, even though they know full well that the product contains MSG.

For example:
Infant formula, Baby food, Enteral feeding products (tube feeding products)

Dietary supplements, Medications/drugs

Protein drinks, Protein bars and protein powders

Vaccines--including vaccines that are injected into children.

Fertilizers, pesticides, and fungicides

Kosher food

Cosmetics, Personal care products

Even food that is labeled "organic."

MSG can be hidden everywhere!
Minaret

Postby lili2701 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:34 am

yes i know but still, organic is the safer place. I buy everything bio, even my shower gel now. I try not to put fragrance but you know some are very reactive to those while others are less and we wouldnt live if we had to worry about everything. I think cutting down on major things that have proven to be bad for one's health is a great step already; avoid microwaves, alcohol, cigarettes, processed junk food, electromagnetic radiations, and non organoc food. As for the rest we'd become crazy if we start worrying about everything that is bad because there is not much good left if we analyze it. and the more you worry, the more it'll affect you.

I think I have a healthy life and it is enough for me like this. But my naturo told me about all these stuff and says I have to stay away from all that too.
lili2701

Postby alicewoolf » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:04 am

Hi think you're right Lili, it's almost impossible to avoid everything that's bad. but a generally clean and healthy lifestyle definitely helps with CFS... I can't afford to buy everything organic but most of my diet is organic and I've cut out the nasty stuff like cigs and alcohol which is good enough for me. And I do also try to avoid E numbers too..
alicewoolf

Postby lili2701 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:17 am

Sorry Minaret, like I said in the other post, I think that's really great you inform us on all these bad substances I didnt mean to sound ungrateful or anything. I just dont feel strong enough to avoid all those, although I do, for most of it!

thanks for your help!!!
lili2701

Return to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome