Chronic Fatigue Treatments
Board index Chronic Fatigue Treatment Gupta Programme

Calming the nervous system

Discuss The Guptra Programme's Amygdala Retraining Techniqes

Calming the nervous system

Postby shefin » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:25 am

[b]I am about four months into the Amygdala retraining process. I am happy to report that I have seen improvements in my condition. In general I am happier, my energy levels are up somewhat, my brain fog has diminished somewhat and I have even had a rare day now and then where I feel "normal." I would say I am at the point of having better and more frequent good days and less frequent really low days. I am still very up and down, however. What seems to be the biggest problem for me is a general calming down of the nervous system. I can feel happy and even energetic but I can feel that my body is still in "high-drive" mode running on adrenaline. My thoughts still race all over the place and I have a lot of butterflies and problems with concentration. It's nice to have a "happier" adrenaline rush, but I can definitely feel that this is still driving me into physical and mental exhaustion and I'm having a hard time slowing it all down. I wondered if any of you had any tips or perhaps if Ashok wanted to address this.........I'm just having a hard time finding a calm state. Thanks, Shefin
shefin

ar

Postby efly » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi Shefin,
The slowing down of the Adrenaline rush will come the further you get into the AR. The Ar is stopping the continual stimulation of the Sympathetic nervous system which is what is stimulating your adrenals etc The soften and flow will also help.Your on the right track.Keep going it will work . It takes time and patients.
Goodluck
efly
efly

Postby damask-rose » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:29 am

Hello shefin!

I'm eleven months into the AR programme. I had the same difficulties as yourself and Ashok advised me to do the meditation sessions twice a day. I could hardly meditate at all to start with, my mind was so much all over the place; I found I needed to meditate for much longer than 20 mins. before I would even begin to calm down.

Then I started to visualise a calm and tranquil me, rather than an energetic one, when doing the Stop! technique - I found that helped a lot. Also, just to keep saying to myself "I am very calm and tranquil" for a few minutes, until I began to really feel like that.

I'm glad to say that I'm [i]much[/i] calmer now - the process really does work!
damask-rose

Postby shefin » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:51 pm

[b]Thank you both for your comments! I really appreciate them! I think part of my problem is that I have continued to work full-time through out my illness. This has been very difficult and would never have worked if I didn't have a job that I had been doing for a long time and know so well that I could do it in my sleep (which is essentially what I feel I have been doing much of the time). I did have to take a month off when I absolutely collapsed about a year ago but I feel blessed to have been able to stay at my job. At the same time, working means I am exhausted so easily and just keep pushing through it rather than allowing my body to relax. I have been meditating every morning but haven't been doing it [i]twice[/i] a day so I will try to start doing that now. I often will pause during my day at my desk and try to do a few moments of soften and flow but I can't very well just stop and do it for twenty minutes. Damask-rose, I like your suggestion of conjuring up calming thoughts rather than exciting ones with the Stop technique. I have kind of been trying to do that already because I have noticed that excitement wears me out as much as stress! The longer I do this program, the more convinced I am of it's validity because I can really recognize that feeling of hyper-drive now and how much it totally exhausts me! How close are you to full-recovery, Damask-rose? How are your levels of brain fog and energy at this point? Thanks again for both of your comments! Shefin[/b]
shefin

Postby damask-rose » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:09 am

Hello again!

You ask me about brain-fog and energy levels. Both are much better. From a position of just lying around the house all day, when I started, I've progressed to being able to go for a good walk - 1/2 hour every day, as well as cycle rides every now and then, which I never would have believed possible!

Yesterday, I went to a book club event for three hours, including having to present my views on the book in question. I managed alright, although it [i]was [/i]a bit of a strain - I felt tired afterwards and my amygdala started firing off all over the place, but after a good night's sleep and a few dozen Stops, I've been fine today, whereas before, even a small social event would take at least a week to recover from. But I was able to take in what everyone was saying and enjoy it - so it was very encouraging for me. I can tell that my mental energy is still not as strong as a normal persons, but for me it was a great improvement.

I find that I have to keep my mind engaged almost constantly in some absorbing activity, otherwise my amygdala still plays havoc. I look forward to the day when I can just sit back and relax withough that happening!

I hope you manage a way to do the retraining while carrying on working. I can imagine how difficult it must be.

Best wishes,

DR
damask-rose

Return to Gupta Programme