Chronic Fatigue Treatments
Board index Prescription Drugs Prescription Drugs For Chronic Fatigue

Zoloft/anti-depressants and hypoglycemia

Discussion of Prescription Drugs For Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia

Zoloft/anti-depressants and hypoglycemia

Postby lentlan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:33 pm

I have been taking generic Zoloft (Sertraline) for depression/anxiety for several years (which it has been quite effective at treating). However, a nasty side effect seems to be much worsening of my body's tendency towards reactive hypoglycemia. Does anyone else have experience with this?
lentlan

Re: Zoloft/anti-depressants and hypoglycemia

Postby java » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:25 pm

I just came across this question. I am having the same experience. I have taken zoloft for a few years and have, over the last few weeks, been getting symptoms similar to hypoglycemia. My main symptoms are low glucose levels and occasional blurry vision. I do know that hypoglycemia can be induced from overuse or incorrect use of certain drugs, but from what I've read, it is usually related to diabetic drugs, as these are used for lowering glucose levels. However, that does not rule out other possibilities. I am fortunate to have a friend in the medical field who is is in a position to clarify these questions. We will be meeting in the next few weeks and I will see what I can find out. It may be just a coincidence, but we shall see. Meanwhile I'm going to alter my diet towards a hypoglycemic diet, since it's a healthy way to eat, anyway, and that should help protect me while I wait for a clearer diagnosis. I do recognize that there are a variety reasons for these symptoms, but diet is a good place to start. I bought a blood glucose monitor as well. You might consider monitoring glucose and altering diet as well, to see what happens. This is only a suggestion, though as I am not a doctor. Good luck and I will post any information that I find out from my meeting. Java.
java

Postby lentlan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:23 pm

Thanks for the response. I do follow a hypoglycemic diet, actually what is known as a paleolithic ("caveman") diet that emphasizes non-processed meals with only whole ingredients (no refined sugar, flour, etc). When followed 100% it works very well to eliminate hypoglycemic symptoms for me. Unfortunately following it 100% is very difficult, particularly when you go out to eat or any time you're not the one preparing meals.

But, your experience sounds different from mine in that my hypoglycemia seemed to become much worse very soon after starting Zoloft; you said you've been on it a few years before yours hypo symptoms started if I'm reading that right.

Regardless, please do follow up with what you find from your friend in the medical field.

Btw, here's an article that I found about hypoglycemia that's one of the best I've seen in my research so far: http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/ ... ycemia.htm
lentlan

Postby java » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:21 am

Thanks for the article - it is very helpful. I can see that hypo is a real jungle to navigate through so the more info the better. Have you talked with your doctor about lowering the zoloft dosage to see if you can find a good balance and stop the effects on hypo? I'm hoping get off it altogether and increase my own stress management with more meditation, visualization, manifesting, etc. I'm really tired of relying on the pharmaceutical route, if you know what I mean. I know that ultimately it will come down to me having to fix myself anyway. Meanwhile, stay happy.
java

Postby java » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:45 am

lentlan, I met with my medical friend and he tells me that hypoglycemia is not affected by zoloft. I have full confidence in this doctor's opinion so I have to go with that. Since my last correspondence, I have experimented with diet and stress management, and it appears to be having a positive effect on my system. I wish I had an answer to your situation, but I am a believer in the individuality of body chemistry, so maybe trial and error will produce some results. I can relate a positive story to you, though. A friend of mine and her partner went to a Sure Slim weight loss clinic about a year or so ago. Apparently, they look at your blood and design an individual eating program for each person. She has lost over 100 pounds, but even more importantly, she went from being diabetic to normal, and from dangerously high cholesterol and blood pressure to normal. Her partner also had similar results. They are not on a diet, but have changed the foods they eat to suit their individual bodies. I'm not interested in losing weight, but I am very happy to witness the inescapable connection between food and disease (or lack of disease). Anyway, keep plugging away, and best wishes to you.
java

Return to Prescription Drugs For Chronic Fatigue