Chronic Fatigue Treatments
Board index Prescription Drugs Prescription Drugs For Chronic Fatigue

Seroquel has helped with sleep

Discussion of Prescription Drugs For Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia

Seroquel has helped with sleep

Postby Luna » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:18 pm

I've been taking Seroquel for sleep disorder from FMS and CFS for at least 6 months now and it's been a huge help for me.

With other medications I took for sleep (Benedryl, Cymbalta alone, OTC sleep aids... etc.) I would fall asleep, but not stay asleep, or I wouldn't feel rested when I woke up. Now I stay asleep until the alarm goes off for work. On my days off I still wake early, and am often ready to get up.

It's primarily an anticonvulsant and antipsychotic, which covers an array of illnesses that affect the brain, such as epilepsy, schizophrenia and mania in bipolar disorder. Off-label uses include Anxiety, Tourette's Syndrome, Autism, Obsessive-Compulsive disorder, Alcoholism, Parkinson's Disease and Insomnia.
Luna

Re: Seroquel has helped with sleep

Postby danielle » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:32 pm

Luna wrote:I've been taking Seroquel for sleep disorder from FMS and CFS for at least 6 months now and it's been a huge help for me.

Ive actually taken this drug before. It totally knocked me out too. I live in southern california and i went to this dr name jay goldstein. He had a really different outlook on cheonic fatigue and fibromyalgia. He believed that these diseases were a problem with brain chemistry and so he would perscribe any drug that affected brain chemistry in away that he thought would improve patients. He eventaully got sued for malpractice( more than once) and has retired. But he gave me seroquel and many others trying to help my CFS and FMS. One of the drugs he gave people that helped the most was a drug called ketamine. It especially helped people with pain problems but also CFS too. This drug is also called special K and used for fun in night clubs. Going to see him was a really different experience. He was pretty reckeless giving people drugs for off label uses
danielle

Postby Luna » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:26 pm

One of the drugs he gave people that helped the most was a drug called ketamine. It especially helped people with pain problems but also CFS too. This drug is also called special K and used for fun in night clubs. He was pretty reckeless giving people drugs for off label uses

Recklessness is certainly something to look out for concerning off-label uses. What helped me a lot was the internet, I did a lot of research on the medications.

Ketamine is something to be cautious of, as you've found out. It's primary use is as a veterinary anesthetic. There's an entry for it at Wikipedia :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketamine. Make sure you read the disclaimer here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:General_disclaimer first!
Luna

Postby danielle » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:37 pm

Luna wrote:Ketamine is something to be cautious of, as you've found out. It's primary use is as a veterinary anesthetic. There's an entry for it at Wikipedia :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketamine. Make sure you read the disclaimer here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:General_disclaimer first!

yeah i think when you have an illness like CFS or FMS you really have to educate yourself because no one will really know how you feel except for you. i tried taking paxil once and had a really bad reaction to it (im really sensative to alot of medications). I tried to tell my doctor that it was making me not feel well, and she just tried to dismiss what i was saying and told me to stick it out . So i stuck it out for a few months and i was still feeling really bad on it, so i just had to just get off of it myself. Now if a doctor suggests a drug i will read about it and research it first before i decide to take it or not
danielle

Postby vegasv » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:48 am

i find myself to be so senative to medications. I almost always have bad side effects from perscription drugs. I think thats kind of a common thing in cfs & FMS patients, but i wonder if its your immune system reacting with it or if its because your body doesnt detox well from it
vegasv

Postby Luna » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:08 pm

I went to my doc today because I've been dozing at work, I never know when it will hit. This is the second time I've been "caught" and I may be fired. My doc said both the Seroquel amd Cymbalta are contributing to this problem... I thought it was just the CFS, I wish I would have known this before!

So I'm cutting the Seroquel in half and moving to Lexapro instead of Cymbalta. Hopefully this will help :? *sigh*
Luna

Postby jaykay » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:32 am

Luna wrote:I went to my doc today because I've been dozing at work, I never know when it will hit. This is the second time I've been "caught" and I may be fired. My doc said both the Seroquel amd Cymbalta are contributing to this problem... I thought it was just the CFS, I wish I would have known this before!

So I'm cutting the Seroquel in half and moving to Lexapro instead of Cymbalta. Hopefully this will help :? *sigh*

Be careful, i was trying some drug that i needed to take throughout the day to help me sleep at night. I cant remember the name of it, it was some kind of blood pressure drug (off label use), but it was making me almost fall asleep while driving. It just hit me all of the sudden and i had to pull over for a second. I stopped that one pretty quick
jaykay

Postby Luna » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:15 pm

Be careful, i was trying some drug that i needed to take throughout the day to help me sleep at night. I cant remember the name of it, it was some kind of blood pressure drug (off label use), but it was making me almost fall asleep while driving. It just hit me all of the sudden and i had to pull over for a second. I stopped that one pretty quick

Thanks for the warning! Yes, those can make you drowsy. I used them, too, but to help me get off the opiates from my FMS. It was amazing, they calmed me and helped with the anxiety that comes from withdrawl. But they were so "busy" taking care of the withdrawl symptoms that they didn't make me drowsy.

I know that 1/2 of my drowsiness is what comes with sitting in front of a computer doing repetitive work. The boss has taken me off projects, so I'm stuck the the PC :roll:
Luna

Return to Prescription Drugs For Chronic Fatigue