CHRONIC FATIGUE BLOG
Home / D-Ribose

D-Ribose

d-riboseD-Ribose is a sugar (derived from glucose) that has been shown to boost levels of the energy compound ATP. Some studies have shown that CFS patients have lower than normal levels of ATP and D-Ribose could be used to increase energy production in the muscles and heart.

The increased levels of ATP may help relieve fatigue by provide the muscles with extra energy. D-Ribose also helps the body to recycle ATP, and use its own energy it has more efficiently.

A study by well know chronic fatigue specialist Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum, has shown D-ribose to improve sleep, fatigue, concentration, pain and well-being in patients.

The Study:

- There were 36 patients in this study
- The average age of the participants was 48 and was 78% female.
- The patients in this study took D-Ribose at a dose of 5 grams, three times each day.

Outcome:

- 69% of the 36 patients had significant improvement. They had 25% improvement in the quality of life, as compared to before the study.

Ribose has also been used in sports to enhance athletic ability. It can also be used to treat a genetic disorder called myoadenylate deaminase deficiency. In this disorder, a sufferer is deficient in an enzyme called AMP deaminase. A deficient person can have symptoms like energy problems and muscle cramping.

How is D-Ribose Ingested?

This substance can be taken in powder form and mixed into liquid like juice or water. It also can be given intravenously.

Recommended Dosages

The dosages doctors recommend can vary greatly. To enhance performance for athletics some have advised 5 grams daily. But for other medical issues like CFS or heart failure, some doctors have recommended 15-30 grams per day. Speak with your doctor before ingesting any supplements, including ribose.

Other Supplements That May Increase ATP

One supplement that may increase ATP is the antioxidant CoQ10. It is required by all cells to produce ATP inside the mitochondria. CoQ10 may be beneficial to people with certain medical conditions like heart failure. ATP is in very high demand in certain organs like the heart, so supplementation with ribose or CoQ10 has been shown to been helpful in improving “ischemic threshold” and enhancing “diastolic function” in certain studies.

Can this Supplement Increase Blood Sugar?

This substance is a sugar, so diabetics should be wary of how it can affect their bodies. There currently have not been any studies done on blood sugar and d-ribose, so it’s effect are not completely known.

Conclusion

The effectiveness of this supplement on patients with chronic fatigue syndrome seem to be mixed. Some have noticed improvement, while others notice no effect or jitteriness. It does not seem like this is the answer that CFS patients have been looking for, but it may provide some relief of symptoms like low energy.

Try our Sublingual Methyl B12 here, if you are looking to improve energy levels and concentration. It is one of the most effective supplements for CFS that we have seen, it is by no means a cure, but can help some symptoms.

New CFS Research Newsletter !
Email:

63 Responses to “D-Ribose”

1. Susan Bush says:

There is now a product called PeakATP on the market. I would like to hear from anyone who can tell me the difference between this formulation and the d-ribose. D-ribose is not recommended for people with blood sugar issues, which I have. I’d like to try the ATP, but so far I’ve only found limited comments that say it’s not as safe or effective as the ribose.

2. Maynard says:

I’ve not tried PeakATP, but I’ve always had really bad hypoglycemia.

Do try the D-Ribose anyway. I’ve been taking it at 15mg/day with Co-Q10 (300-400mg/day), L-Carnitine (2g/day), Niacinamide (B3, 500mg/day) and Magnesium (400mg/day), as part of the Sinatra Protocol for mitochondrial function.

At first, either the Q10 and/or Ribose were causing blood sugar fluctuations a bit… But nothing too bad – only the need for the occassional extra snack, (cold cuts of meat or nuts used to help balance things), and often last thing at night, before going to sleep, I’d need a snack…

I don’t know whether it’s a case of the package of supplements slowly improving things, but I’ve not had any acute hypoglycemic symptoms for quite a while now.

I think even if you’re very reactive, taking Ribose in very small amounts throughout the day should avoid any noticable dips…

Apparently the Ribose lowers blood sugar slightly rather than raising it and causing a spike then a crash… So it may be that it’s good in the long term for blood sugar problems as insulin resistance from eratic or consistently high blood sugar seems to be the main offender…

Benefits far outweigh the costs in this case I think! Ribose is the one supplement I *feel* eases symptoms and improves energy the most.

3. Maynard says:

(Should read 15g/day Ribose – don’t think 15mg would have much effect!)

4. Nancy Mc says:

in response to the blood sugar concerns- I had the same concern. Read this…

I am type 2 and have not had an issue. What I wanted to share with everyone was an unexpected benefit I have received from taking Ribose. It has given me the first undisturbed sleep I have had in at least 10 years. I have stopped taking it 4 different times to see if that was really from the ribose, and sure enough the effect is almost miraculous! For more than 10 years I woke up every 2 hours at least, without exception. I always have to urinate when I wake but suspect it is the muscle pain from fibro waking me as I am always uncomfortable every minute of the day. I only have to take it before bed to get the benefit. I now sleep 6 hours or more before waking and though I still have pain it is better and I have more energy. I take 5 grams (2 tsp.) in water the hour or so before and if I do not take it I wake up. My husband says I am never going to stop! I don’t really know why it works but it does! I have not been able to afford the 5 grams 3x a day so I think maybe my results would be even better if I did. I buy mine at Vitamin Shoppe (NOW Sports brand D-Ribose powder 8 0z., 227 grams) for $29.99. Once a day lasts me about a month and it is so worth it but I wish I could take it 3 times as recommended in the research. Has anyone had really good results with a less expensive brand?

5. Art Sands MD says:

I am a family physician – have been recommending d ribose for both patients that have fibromyalgia and congestive heart failure – have had excellent results in general (~ 60-70% respond well).

6. Debbie says:

Has anyone noticed feeling worse when first taking the ribose? I took my first 5g dose this morning and feel a bit more achey. I was thinking maybe there is an intial detox reaction?

7. Sherril says:

The study did not have a control group. Makes it not much of a study, in my opinion.

8. Mojita says:

Hi Nancy,
    In my family, we’ve been following the suggestions of Dr. Myhill, her clinical results seem to be the most helpful. We’ve seen a dramatic increase in energy and a decrease in pain and fatigue symptoms. You can learn a lot from dr. Myhills website.

9. Lois says:

For Debbie,

I don’t think it could be a detox. As I understand it, ribose is a form of sugar/energy. Don’t see how that would make you have a herx?
    Maybe you were having an achy day for another reason, or for an unknown reason?

10. Bruce Jordan says:

For Nancy, Swanson Vitamins sells 10.6 oz. of d-Ribose for $27.99. I’ve been buying products from them for years and can recommend them. Good luck.

11. Connie Hoffman says:

Hi Debbie. I had the same problem and added the NOW brand of Cal/Mag. 3 softgels have 1000 mg. of Calcium and 500 mg. of Mag. 2 softgels works for me. That ended the build up of lactic acid. Hope this helps.

12. Hana Johnson says:

I am a middle-aged woman with chronic pain and trying to keep fit and strong. I workout six days a week with weights and a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio prior to each training session. I have taken many different brands of energy and pre-workout drinks and have found that Advocare products work well for me. I noticed a significant difference when taking a product called Muscle Fuel in that I always have a better workout overall for endurance and physical strength. On the days that I don’t take Muscle Fuel, There is a noticeable difference in the decrease in energy. I still have a good workout but not as powerful. Recently I ran out of the product and since it is by mail order only, I reviewed all of the ingredients in the products I take, and the one ingredient missing from everything else except Muscle Fuel is D-ribose. I went to my local GNC and inquired for a product with D-ribose. No one there had heard about it. After a long time reading through the ingredients of products claiming to maximize everything, I finally found D-ribose as an ingredient in Sizeon by Gaspari Nutrition. I have been a customer of GNC for decades and taken many products that have come and gone and not become attached to any particular one. I have to say that the Sizeon made a big difference as an energy drink/supplement to my workout. I have since then included D-ribose in powder form to my daily supplement intake. I buy it at the health food store. What a difference for the better. I also have far less body aches.

13. Hana Johnson says:

I am not recommending that anyone try these supplements or creatine; which is the reason why people take the supplements that I mentioned in my previous post. I have tried to steer clear from creatine, however, I am cautiosly happy about the D-Ribose and will keep reading for any new developments, good or bad, on its use as a supplement.

14. Esthr Salinas says:

I would like to know if d-ribose has been used to treat Post Polio Syndrome symptoms of muscle pain and weakness, debilitating fatigue, low energy/stamina.

15. Joe S says:

I am 42 and have had fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome for 19 years.

I have researched and tried everything under the sun and hands down, ribose is the greatest supplement I have ever used.

I am back in the gym. I have more energy, sleep better, and rebound exceptionally quicker using ribose. Sometimes I would hit a wall with massive fatigue, and would wait days…weeks, sometimes months to get a little better.

With ribose- and a host of other effective suppliments- I get a turn around the same day often.

I take 5 grams ribose (sometimes 10 grams) 3 times a day with l-glutemine (5-10 grams), powder vitamin C(1-2 grams as tolerated) mixed in water
    And, co-enzime q-10 (30 to 60 mg. 1x a day), malic acid (1000-2000 mg 1x a day), magnesium (300-600 mg 1x a day), Chinese ginsing 2000 mg,a good multi- vitamin (”nature plus” food for life) and a few more.

I am treating “adrenal exhaustion” or “adrenal fatigue” as it is known. Google it to get the regime that is right for you.

You may look up candiasis too.

I think, after 19 years, i have more hope than ever– not just from the ribose, i have an all aROUND HEALTHY LIFSTYLE THAT INCLUDES MEDITATION, {ops, caps}, but the ribose is the key.

This stuff is expensive, but where there is a will there is a way (google “law of attraction”).

I shop at vitacost: all shipping is a flat rate of $5. Just make sure to opt-out of any programs they offer including the $20 off or someting after you buy. Best prices.

16. Bea says:

HI, I am just beginning to try ribose for Chronic Fatigue. I can tell after just 3 days that it helps with energy levels, but it seems to be causing gas, mild constipation, and cold sores. Has anyone had this happen? Any thoughts on how to make this work for me would be appreciated!

17. Dawn says:

My father is 62 and has chronic fatigue and pain issues… and my uncle, his younger brother, has fibromyalgia. I’ve heard a little about ribose and just started researching it. The conversation on here has really been helpful, and I would like to thank everyone who has contributed. I would love to see both of them with less pain and able to enjoy life more than they do… and I think this is worth checking out further.
    Would there be any suggestions on things that should not be done or used in conjunction with ribose? Any ‘heads up’ tips or warnings anyone can suggest?
    Thank you so much! And my deepest hope for health and happiness for all of you!

18. linda says:

i can recommend the perrin technique for cfs and fibromyalgia. the information is available on the internet.

19. Ronda says:

I love D-Ribose. I have alot of drug intolerances and was at my wits end with the fibromyalgia pain. Off the meds and on D-Ribose 3 times a day @ 1 tsp each time. Love it. I wish I could find it cheaper and in larger containers in Canada. Life changing for me.

20. Anne says:

Hi – this is a question for BEA, who wrote on January 6 2009, that D-Ribose “seems to be causing gas, mild constipation, and cold sores.”

I was wondering if you heard from anyone else having these side effects and also wondering if you meant canker sores (on the inside of the mouth) or the other kind, that come from the herpes virus (usually the outside of the mouth, on the lips). THANK YOU!

21. Amy says:

I’ve been taking the ribose for nearly a year and it continues to be working for me. I’ve been ordering it through Amazon in bulk (Nutrabulk is the distributor) and it is much less expensive. It is the same product, as all Ribose here is manufactured by one company (Bioenergy I think) and then distributed by different distributors. This has made a huge difference!

22. Linda says:

I just googled “d-ribose manufacture” and the first site I looked at shows about 5 manufacturers, so it is not one company that supplies all. Only 1 is in the US. The rest are in China. chemindustry .com/chemicals/488868.html

I came to this blog looking for info on d-ribose manufacturers because not all vitamins are made the same. I will probably order what Puritan’s Pride has–it is not their own brand, but someone else’s–because Puritan’s Pride always comes out with a perfect rating on consumerlabs.com (unlike my old favorites, Solgar and Now) and because I have used their vitamins for the last 5 years with excellent results.

If I find more info, I will post.
    Thank you to all who have posted here. Your comments are to the point, not rambly, and that is much appreciated.

23. David says:

To Maynard (re: comment posted March 22, 2008)

Are you on the forum here? Would like to hear more about your success in controlling your hypoglycemia. Please post a comment back if you can.

24. MARYBETH says:

ATTN: Comment by Nancy Mc # 47443

Haven’t tried the D-ribose yet. just ordered it. Found this source that you might want to consider:
    nutrabio. com/Products/ribose1.htm?gclid=CNTQ28HK2poCFQNaFQodhxx83g

The NOW costs $.132 per gram. The above in the 500 gram container including shipping to Wisconsin from New Jersey is $.10 per gram. (227 grams of this would equal $23.39 as compared to the NOW product FOR $29.99). The 500 gram container incl shipping is $51.74 for 100 SERVINGS… a little over a month if you took it 3 times per day. Taking it once per day gives you a little over 3 months.

The cost per gram decreases as larger amounts are purchased. They say they have a 34 MONTH shelf life, so if this works I plan on getting it in bulk. I figure that getting the 5 POUND size would last 5 months with an average cost of approx. $32.00 a month for 3 times a day n ot including shipping. (151 days divided by 30 = 5ish mo.)

This manufacturer recommends 3 weeks at 3 times per day then dropping to 2 times per day for maintenance.
    Following this schedule the 5 POUNDS would last 216 days or approx 7.2 months = approx $22./mo.

If you were taking it 2x/day maintenance the 5 pounds would last 228 days or 7.5 months.

I’m not strong in math, so check my figures. Calculations should be pretty close.

25. Debora says:

I have hypoglycemia and use D Ribose. The blood sugar problems can be addressed by eating protein . I have found the least expensive option is from NutraBio.

Nutra Bio sells pharmaceutical grade D Ribose. I have also found that if we clean up our diets that our fibro lessens. No one thing is a magic bullet, we have to remember that.

I also wanted to add that everyone needs to give themselves a full six weeks taking D Ribose before you make a judgement on its effect on your fibromyalgia. It can be a suttle change that you weren’t aware of , until you stop taking it. Then you will realize how much it has improved your life.

26. susank says:

I take it 3 times daily 5 grams each. I’ve tried dropping down to 2 doses but notice a big diffrence in muscle soreness as well as overall energy. I’m just starting to add creatine as well, I’ve read a few comments that creatine can also help with fibromyalia, does anyone have any experience good or bad???

27. Dreya says:

D-Ribose could make you tired, I have similar effects to drugs like this, well herbs, but i have asked many questions about why it does this and I never get a real response, but i believe it messes with blood sugar levels..

28. Kimmy says:

I just started taking Ribose about a week ago – have not been consistent at all with my dosages. But, I can tell you that I have felt better (had more consistent energy throughout the day) for the last couple of days than I have had in a very long time. I’m not 100% or even 80%, but I can tell a significant difference. I have struggled with SEVERE CFS for 24 years and have tried just about everything … to no avail.

I do have to add here, much to my chagrin, that like some others above, I have also started having excessive gas since starting the Ribose. It’s very annoying, but there is no way I will stop taking the Ribose now – been feeling too much better otherwise.

29. Annamarie Maritz says:

Have started to give D-Ribose to my son who is 8 years old and on the autistic spectrum. He has always been very lethargic and tired. The D-Ribose made a huge difference in his energy levels and subsequently in his academic performance and general well being. He has only been using 5mg per day for the past two months. Since he is on a restricted diet, he has been using many different supplements over the last three years, none which had the same immediate positive effect on his overall well being.

30. Henri says:

I read about Ribose in Dr Teitlbaum’s book from Fatigued to Fantastic so I decided to order some online to try it. I started suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome about 10 months ago and I was willing to try anything to get some energy. After about a month, I didn’t think it was working so I stopped. A few weeks after I stopped, my body crashed and I was back at square one. For me the changes were so gradual that I hardly noticed them. I had started to regain some energy, I was able to do more in a day with less resting, my sleep was also starting to reestablish itself. I didn’t think it was due to the Ribose until I stopped. I am planning on starting the Ribose again along with Coenzyme Q10 and perhaps Carnitine. CFS is a very difficult condition to deal with and I wish anyone with it the best.

31. Dori says:

I suffer from fibromyalgia and tried one tsp. of d-ribose powder today. The energy I received from it feels like I’ve had about 6 cups of coffee! (I have not had any caffeine at all for the last three months or so.) It’s been 8 hours and I’m wondering if I will be able to sleep tonight. I like the energy and my pain is a lot more tolerable today. But is it normal to get that much energy from 1 tsp?

32. Rosa Romero says:

I suffer from CFS and Im taking Amitriptyline for 2 years, it increase my energy label. I started taking Ribose 2 weeks ago and Im feeling more tired. Its normal for some people to feel more tired at the beginning?

33. Elaine says:

I love d-ribose. I have had CFS for decades, and am mostly bedridden but with the ribose I at least have some small amount of energy, can walk around the house and do small tasks on some days. I have hypoglycemia, but it has no effect on that as long as I eat frequent protein containing meals. I get it from Swanson vitamins. It’s the cheapest I have found. I am extremely and ridiculously prone to herx reactions but never had any bad reaction from this at all. One supplement I would never be without. I take 15 grams a day. More than that does not seem to make a difference.

34. Michele says:

Several people have mentioned taking CoQ10 with d-Ribose. Is this something you’ve read is important to take with the d-Ribose or are you just listing the other supplements you’re taking at the same time? Thanks.

35. Terry says:

ribose dose help cfs, ive had for 6 + years and have tried ribose on 4 seperate occasions, what can happen if it works you may tend to try to much activity and have a crash as i have if you suffer cfs try it, for me it helped. i overdid it and crashed. cfs is most likely the worst disease possible as the varied constantly changing syptoms and up and down cycles are hard to cope with ive found that little exercise is tolerated without the severe crash but you must do something to keep your body from complete wasteing,please be vigilant fellow sufferers i know your agony dont give up. overall ribose is helpful not a cure though.

36. linda says:

I have a severe case of CFS,and fibromyalgia,and the EBV virus.Does anyone know of a really good doctor who specializes in treating this illness? I live in Woodland hills,California near Los Angeles? I would really appreciate it.I have medicare insurance and it doesn’t pay for alternative treatments.

37. Charlie G says:

Dr. Oz recommends D-Ribose as his number one recommendation to help with low enery in adults. Just saw his show today 2/12/10. Came across this site and thought it would be beneficial to share Dr. Oz’s endorsement. I’m 56 years young and wish to have better energy level. I haven’t tried yet, but this looks interesting.

38. Cindy says:

In response to Dori who felt like she had 6 cups of coffee. I am on my second day taking D-ribose and I too feel jittery at times. I was wondering if that feeling subsides with time or maybe I should lower my dosage which is one teaspoon twice a day. Thank you!

39. Don A. says:

I am a 57 year old male, I was diagnoised with Polymyalgia Rhumatica a year ago and have been on Prednizone the whole time. From the research that I have done, I am going to go off the prednizone and use Cat’s Claw and D-ribose as an alternative. I am starting the change this week and will post results as I see them.

40. Anna S. says:

I suffer from CFS & Fybro due to Post Viral Syndrome/Post Polio Syndrome that I have had for the past decade. Before starting ribose about 3 months ago, I was so crippled that even the slightest activity was too much for me and I felt myself sinking into depression about my quality of life, especially since I am mom of two toddlers that I could barely interact with. Aside from that, my heart would beat too slow or too fast, I could not maintain body temp and would flux between fevers and low temp and wore heavy clothes to stay warm. My blood pressure was always alarmingly low and I always felt dizzy. I had aches and pains everywhere, frequent mirgranes, and lots of confusion and brain fog to the point where my family would become frustrated with me. I have had severe digestive problems too and struggled with slow digestion which left me feeling full all the time and like it would not be possible to eat more than a little food each day. It only took about 48 hours for the ribose, CoEnzyme Q10 and Carnitine to start working and before long my quality of life had greatly improved. Now I am able to have a few pretty stable chunks of time in my day where I have enough energy to do household tasks, play with my kids or run errands. All of the symptoms mentioned above have improved or are gone and I have been able to gain and keep some much needed weight. I still crash if I overdo activities but for the most part, Ribose has been a complete Godsend to my life and I suggest it to anyone struggling with energy trouble.

41. Pat Barr says:

I have fibromyalgia, and heard about D-Ribose. I was anxious to try it…and excited!! However, everytime I used it, I became jittery & weak. This is just how hypoglycemia behaves. This, from all I’ve heard is not suppose to affect blood sugar???

42. LuLu says:

I started taking D-Ribose for CFS according to Dr. Teitelbaum’s instructions. The 1st day was OK. The 2nd AM I had a reaction that really scared me, so I will not take it again. Perhaps my blood sugar was low, because my reaction seemed somewhat similar to just before fainting. I wish I had done more research into ALL the side-effects of this product–before I took it.

43. A-Rod says:

After reading Fatigued to Fantastic i started taking ribose, i found after about 3 days of 15g a day I started getting quite worrying heart palpitations and really intense muscle pain in my neck, shoulders and arms – the pain and palpitations went away after stopping taking the ribose, they took about 1-2 weeks to completely go away though. I now take 2.5 grams twice a day, i still notice its causing some muscle pain in my shoulders and arms but i am hopeful it will lead an increase in energy and a decrease in brain fog. All the best to you all :)

44. KarenLana says:

If you feel jittery they recommend taking the Ribose with food and/or decreasing the dosage.

I have had CFIDS/FM/LYME for over a decade. Since the fall of 2008, I’ve been in a severe down cycle, barely able to anything except in 10 minute intervals (shower, lie down for half and hour, get dressed, lie down for 30 min, fix hair, lie down etc). I could not do errands, go to church, attend social gatherings or parties, grocery shop or do anything outside my home. Trying to do housework took all I had and I wasn’t very successful at it.

I was truly beginning to despair. I’d not felt this bad/low since 1999. Since July 9th, I’ve been taking the Corvalen brand of Ribose, following Dr Teitlebaum’s protocol. For the first 21 days, I felt even worse: decreased energy, increase in malaise, general overall feeling very badly and increased brain fog.

The study indicated most people improved after 21 days, so I determined to stick it out. Am I ever glad that I did! On day 22, I began to feel better both overall and with an increase in energy & decreased brain fog. Improvement continues and now, on day 53, I feel great. I rarely need to lie down during the day, I can clean my house, grocery shop, prepare meals etc without debilitating problems. My FM pain has also decreased which I attribute to the magnesium in Corvalen-M as well as the Ribose. I’m able to sleep better since the pain has decreased and I’m taking Dr T’s herbal sleep supplement.

After suffering for over a decade with nothing seeming to make a difference, this feels like a miracle and now I have hope for the first time in years.

45. John says:

Great comments above… I’ve been dealing with CFIDS for a few years now and am still learning more about it everyday. Thanks for the great read.

46. Robin says:

I had strong c.f.s. starting in about 94 and quit coffee to help the adrenals and found that whey protein (despite being allergic to it) really helped.
    Find ways to build glutathione levels -gingko biloba Grass fed beef liver are two other ways to increase.
    I feel strongly that this issue is all about digestive issues, could be sensitive small intestine to g.m.o.’s or other antagonists.
    All autoimmune disorders have leaky gut so consider allergy testing, and L glutamine and aloevera gel and slippery elm to help heal.

47. berban says:

I have tried several alternative remedies for my CFS such as D-Ribose and other vitamins and supplements, and none of them have helped a whit. I’m wondering why everyone else is experiencing such great results.

Well I guess I’ll at least finish my bottle and see if anything turns up.

Also, for all of you talking about sugar responses and hypoglycemia, the serving size for D-Ribose as far as I know is only a couple of grams. You are not getting a hypoglycemic response from 2 grams of sugar… unless you’re eating like a whole cup of it.

48. alex says:

I am about to start taking ribose, I have done extensive searching about my energy levels, for those of you that do well on ribose and have CFS/FM (like me), it is very likely that you are unable to break down larger sugars into energy e.g. glucose. You should get tested for methylation pathway issues, I have and I have issues in this area, I cannot break down lots of different substances e.g. folic acid, B12 don’t work on me because of this problem, the answer is to get the actived versions of these vitamins which are part broken down, then I can absorb them. There is no magic cure for either CFS or FM that works for everyone, but maintaining good energy levels is essential do a seach for dr myhill, there are a few very good articles about CFS that explain the underlying issues/causes and possible solutions.

49. Justin M says:

Regarding ribose brands, Corvalen seems to be the best overall. However, the Jarrow brand is a bit cheaper and seems to be equally effective, but clumps a bit. If you can deal with a little clumping, the Jarrow brand is a good deal. The cheapest place I’ve found to buy supplements online is iherb.com (if it still works, the coupon code TUD658 should give you a $5 discount).

50. Rosie Miranda says:

Hi, dont know if anyone saw in the wallstreet journal that the
    scientist think they have found the cause of chronic fatigue s
    syndrome.They have identified it as a retro virus. The article wasnt clear about its conclusions or maybe I need a good nights sleep. They are using the same meds for HIV on chronic fatigue patients,seems HIV is also a retro virus. I have some ideas about this but I dont know if I can get a hold of the info that might be helpful.Im on here looking for herbal formula or supplements that anybody tried that works for hypoglycemia. I understand the diet part.Dr christopher use to make a formula that really worked, but he doesnt make it anymore.I e-mailed his shop today to try to find out what all he put into his formula so maybe I could make it up myself.Tried to do this long ago, but it didnt work.Maybe the herbs that I tried were not good quality.Does anybody know what they are saying on consumerlab about the individual herbal supplements?I guess I need to join, but now I need to sleep, glad you guys found d-ribose, if there is a will, there is always a way.